Wednesday, June 29, 2016

My New Hydrangea Macrophylla: Firefly (Horcos)

Yes, this is my plant!
Please allow me to take a few moments to give an initial review of a brand new hydrangea macrophylla to hit the market this year: Firefly! (scientific cultivar name: Horcos). This is a sturdy, robust plant that's supposed to grow to about 4x4' in height. It appears to be very sun tolerant, as mine has been in-ground for a couple of months now and has shown no droop, wilting, or scorching of any kind - pretty good for a new planting!

This blooms with semi-doubled almost bicolored flowers, which start whitish in the centers with pink edges, then change to mostly a vivid pink as time passes. I do not yet know what the spent blooms will look light. The foliage is a vivid bright/deep green with red accents along the edges and along the stems.

I bought mine at Trax Farms nursery in Finleyville off PA Route 88 in a 3-gallon for close to $40. Last I checked they were low, but I believe LMS in Allison Park has some in stock.

1 comment:

  1. I picked it up too. Standout plant often white color flower centers.

    ReplyDelete